ICAC Director of Communications
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Geneva, 28 June 2019 — On 7 October 2019, the global cotton community will turn its eyes to Geneva for the official launch of World Cotton Day, a high-level strategic meeting for senior government officials, cotton and textile industry professionals, national and international organisations, and private sector business executives.
World Cotton Day will celebrate the many advantages of cotton, from its qualities as a natural fibre, to the benefits people obtain from its production, transformation, trade and consumption. The event will also serve to shed light on the challenges faced by cotton industries around the world, and particularly in Least-Developed Countries.
The celebration is being organised in cooperation between the Secretariats of the World Trade Organization (WTO), the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), the WTO/UNCTAD International Trade Centre (ITC), and the International Cotton Advisory Committee (ICAC). Representatives of other international organisations, non-governmental organisations, research and academia institutions and the private sector will also be invited to participate in the events marking the launch of World Cotton Day, which will include:
* A Plenary Session with Heads of State, Heads of International Organisations, Ministers and high-level officials, as well as industry and business leaders, to open the celebrations.
* Several thematic side events gathering public and private sector leaders and experts on cotton for informative discussions and networking.
* A Partners' Conference organised to leverage resources and catalyse technical expertise specifically towards the operationalisation of a new project on technology transfer for the development of cotton by-products value chains in eight pilot African LDCs.
* A Fashion Event to display cotton fashion and designers from different parts of the world, with a special focus on Africa.
* A reception, a cotton exhibition, display booths, a photo contest and live broadcasting of cotton celebrations around the world will also be part of the day's events.
If you would like to attend this unique event, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. More information, including registration, the programme, the description of the various events planned and organisational arrangements, can be found at https://www.wto.org/worldcottonday.
World Cotton Day – Save the Date PDF
World Cotton Day – Registration
About the International Cotton Advisory Committee (ICAC)
Formed in 1939, the ICAC is an association of cotton producing, consuming and trading countries. It acts as a catalyst for change by helping member countries maintain a healthy world cotton economy; provides transparency to the world cotton market by serving as a clearinghouse for technical information on cotton production; and serves as a forum for discussing cotton issues of international significance. The ICAC does not have a role in setting market prices or in intervening in market mechanisms. For more information, please visit www.icac.org.